Suffolk Kite Flyers

Kite Forum

Login | Register

Sat May 29, 2010 4:28 pm

Its time for me to belt up (the moment can't come to soon some will say :lol: )
I am on the look out for webbing and buckles etc, so if you have any could you let me know

thanks
Tim

Top Top

Sat May 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Committee
Are you looking to start buggy jumping then?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat May 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Committee
I try not to jump, but like to be one with my buggy :shock:

Have a look at others - priority is the ability to bale when you need to. I've seen plastic buckles used because on impact they tend to break and you're free. Be warned it hurts more if you do go over when strapped in - shoulders normally take the brunt of it!!!

Top Top

Sat May 29, 2010 7:23 pm

I will vouch for that ...popped shoulder..

Top Top

Sat May 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Hank wrote:
Are you looking to start buggy jumping then?

Maybe - but not intentionally - just want to feel abit more sucure on the corners, also just want to get more power and use bigger kites

Top Top

Sat May 29, 2010 9:16 pm

Committee
Yes I was just wondering what the reason was behind the seatbelt Tim, I understand if it is to feel more connected to the buggy. To me it feels very strange not being belted in now even if I am not jumping.

Strapping in is quite a big step, even if your not planning on jumping. If you flip out of the buggy, it is staying with you. I have seen people on small kites in big winds when strapped into buggys and they have flipped out the buggy (everyone does it) but they are trying to release the seat belt but the kite is just looping away dragging them down the field while trapped in a 20kg lump of metal.

It was only a few months ago when I was on a beach and buggying, I was strapped in as usual and went flying up the beach, down turned the kite and did a 180 power slide to go in the other direction... well during the slide I hit a bit of soft sand on the inside wheel and went flying and flipped the buggy. I put my hands down to lessen the impact but my face stopped me eventually lol. The kite crashed but was still powered upside down, I couldn't release from the buggy and was in quite a bit of pain from the jarred neck/back, painful wrists from trying to break my impact and I was still spitting out sand. Eventually someone came over and pulled the release on the buggy. Anyway if I hadn't had been wearing a seatbelt I would have just flipped the buggy in the soft sand and probably slid to a stop free from the buggy. So it just shows how wearing a seatbelt can complicate things.

I am not trying to scare you into not trying it as wearing is seatbelt is part of the progression but just making you aware that seatbelts can be dodgy at times but can also help out in other times when you really need those extra few kg of buggy weight :)

If you are looking to start buggy jumping then there are a few things that are advisable to make sure you are happy with first such as, sliding, 2 wheels, reverse riding (possibly most important)and also 180s are handy when jumping as you quite often rotate unintentionally in the air so may have to come into land backwards and flick round 180 as soon as you land.

There is some really decent information on here http://www.kite-buggiers.co.uk/_freestyle/seatbelts.php about seatbelts and also if you look around the site there is useful stuff on buggying, jumping and tricks.

Also slightly off topic but here is also a site that Alex might be interested in http://www.kiteatb.co.uk/category/basics its always good to get a general feeling of what you want to learn and hows its done before going out on the field and trying it.

O and if anyone is planning on starting to buggy jump make sure you redirect the kite, most important thing is to bring that kite back over the top of you so you come down nice and soft.
As you can see from the picture below I learnt the hard way :)

Taken 2004 I think

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat May 29, 2010 9:23 pm

Committee
^^^ Initially thought that was Hank, but then realised it couldn't be, the buggy has a straight axle :lol:

Top Top

Sat May 29, 2010 9:25 pm

Committee
lol that was a brand new Parastorm typhoon when they first got released. 2 weeks later the axle had a slight smile in it and the side rails were mashed.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun May 30, 2010 3:56 am

yeah then the mice ate it in my garage...Tim words of wisdom from Hank ref belt..I have one and very rarely use it ..since I dont intend on jumping I like to be able to bail if i feel the need..far cooler to bail with kite than to be dumped over onto a face or shoulder..If you look back over the injuries that have occured ..Ade strapped in Broken collar bone , Hillside ? , Mad Rob Broken collar bone from helmet impact strapped in , me after gust 30 sec run at barkin tye popped shoulder strapped in like hank says it is a progession thing but progression for what ? freeestyle yep ..speed ..im not sure after all when you see the big buggy racers in France ect you will not that they are not allowed to be strapped in a go for a snug fitting seating area..I would say at the stage your at you would be better off working a smaller kite to gain more power ( pumping, figure 8's and down turns on the turns ) than switching up a kite size and sitting with it set .

I know it can feel as if you should be strapped in as you see other doing it..but i can honestly say that I got over that one years ago and now like to be free in the buggy even as you know tend to fly on just arms at rougham preferring harness on the beach ..the harness thing for me is a feel thing I like to get more from my small kite by feeling the wind through my hands and upper body. Thats my two penneth worth lol see ya later this morning ..ps anything you do is gonna be in vain as Alex is gonna kick your arse within couple of years and there aint nothing you can do about it .. :lol:

Top Top

Sun May 30, 2010 7:26 pm

Moz wrote:
..ps anything you do is gonna be in vain as Alex is gonna kick your arse within couple of years and there aint nothing you can do about it .. :lol:

You are so right there :lol:

Top Top