Suffolk Kite Flyers

Kite Forum

Login | Register

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:51 am

Hi Guys,
I live in Cambridgeshire and found this club by change, looks great, and the site at Rougham Airfeild looks amazing! Just what i'm looking for as i'm not keen on going to Beaches.[Hunstanton]

I'm 46 and have been static flying F/B for about 4 years....at the moment I have.. Radsail Pro 5m, Ozone Flow 3m and a Flexi Sting 1.7m. But my main goal is getting into Depower for Freestyle Landboard.

I will join the club and turn up one Weekend as soon as I get my Depower gear....still looking at the moment...

But the dilemma I have is this... Made a mistake last year?...Truth is, I went out and brought a Flexi Board and a 9.5 HQ Montana...took it to the beach and it scared the life out of me :o
If I can remember the wind was about 18mph,I had this waist harness on that was around my ears most of the time! even though I constantly adjusted it, I just really did not feel comfortable,but more importantly, I felt UNSAFE. Did I buy the wrong kite? I stupidly sold it soon after thinking Depower was not for me? But I still love the thought of it, guess I just need some friendly help and advice to start? The Ozone Access keeps coming up as a best bet...an 8m most seem to say is the best? especially for inland gusts,unlike the Montana?
I would eventually like to jump and they say the Access is very low lift? but I know you cant run before you can walk...lol
Basically, can't wait to get the 'right' gear, maybe a little help and get to the great feild to meet some fellow kiters!
Many Thanks in advance
Steve.

Top Top

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi most skf members fly fixed bridle kites Craig does some jumping and he flies a fly surfer they do seem to be the kite of choice for jumping these days why don't you come down introduce yourself and may be have a try of some kites

Top Top

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Hi mate
montanas are pretty lifty not a beginner kite at all
I have a ozone access you are welcome to try it out anytime
also hq apex's are a great buy low lift great to learn de-power , can feel a bit scary being hooked on to a big kite, but these kites are well behaved(And resale is easy)

Come and join you will love it!

Top Top

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi Steve, I have a few De-Powers for sale and happy to chat more. 07970 158252
Cheers,
Sean

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Committee
come along anyway mate, were a nice bunch and if anyone has depowers there i am sure you will get a go. if not bring the FB kites and have a fun day anyway. we have a weekender in May, gonna be a good weekend :)

Top Top

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Cheers Guys,
All sounds great, and Thank you for the warm welcome.
Forgive my ignorance, but do I need to join the club and gain membership before I can go to the site?
I want to join anyway, but just wondered.
Whats a 'weekender'....camping over? Do I have to wait until May to pop over?
Sorry for all the questions..lol
Cheers Guys

Top Top

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:14 pm

Committee
your first fly is free so head on over :), we know you'll soon wanna join!

best to head up on the second sunday on a month as its club sunday or watch the forum to see who is going up any other time.

once a member you can fly anytime as long as there are two or more members present (its a safety thing) and you will be covered by club insurance.. this is still a live airfield so do be aware of that when flying and there are times that the model flyers or other groups have access. youll get details on this when you join.

Weekenders are awesome fun, we all head up after work on firday and leave sunday evening, bring a tent/caravan and fly all weekend, we normally light the bbq of an evening or do a run to the chippy and have a light shandy or four hehe :lol: this year we are trying to think of a twist to each weekender, May is going to be the xmas party, yes complete with xmas tree, 70's disco, pudding and personally i am hoping Mrs Mick will bring some of her remarkable mince pies :)

I head off from Cambridge so let me know if you wanna tag along.

Top Top

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 pm

spazkiter wrote:
Hi Steve, I have a few De-Powers for sale and happy to chat more. 07970 158252
Cheers,
Sean

Great fella to buy kites from had a few off sean and great teacher

Top Top

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:10 am

Thanks again Guys,
Will be giving Sean a call for sure!

Top Top

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:51 am

how about some buggy experience as well, for a good laugh look at our facebook page(suffolk kite flyers) and see what some people are selling?buying, look forward to meeting up and flying with or under you

mike

Top Top