Suffolk Kite Flyers

Kite Forum

Login | Register

Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi everyone,

Well I best introduce myself to you all as I've just joined your forum, as you may notice my name is Mick I am 47 and new to kiting and just waiting to start kite surfing lessons asap, but I would also like to have a go at kite buggying.
I currently have a slingshot B3 trainer kite which I'm getting to grips with but have just won a flexifoil blade 4.0 off the well know auction site, now trying to find out which control bar to go for (ozone turbo bar or peter Lynn crossover) any advice on these two gratefully received I do have a kite surfing harness but not sure if this would be the same as a buggying harness :?.

Cheers for now

Top Top

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:37 am

Committee
Hi mick

Welcome to Suffolk kite flyers

I am also called mick so this is going to be fun lol. I am the chairman of the skfc.

The harness you have may not be suitable for bugging. Have you only flown with a bar the blade is a great kite but can be very unforgiving you may won't to try to fly it on handle first.

You are more then welcome to come over to Rougham and have ago with some of my or the club gear to see if you like it and go from there.

Just keep a eye on the forum to see when members are going over

Cheers mick

Top Top

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the welcome the blade does come with handles but I will need to get kite killers before I attempt to fly it, my Slingshot came with a bar and my reason for buying it was to get used to bar control ready for my kite surfing lessons which I'm hoping to start asap I have a Naish ride 10 kite to start that side of things.

This kiting has really caught my attention and I can't think why I hadnt looked more into it before I'm originally from kent so had cambersands about an hour away, I moved here 4 yrs ago and now I'm looking into buggying there's not much in the way of beaches locally for buggying that I can see.

Regards

Mick

Top Top

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Committee
Welcome Mick (mk2),

come on up on a sunday and have a fly with us, theres normally plenty up that will let you have a go with their kites and dont go buying killers, i have around 4 pairs i used to use and happy to give you a pair. its well worth learning to fly both handles and bar (if you are going that way) and definitely learn the blade on handles before you commit to buying a bar for it., also plenty of buggies to have a go in. Save your self some money and listen to some of the more wiser folk than me in the club as there will be good advice given before you spend your pennies.

If the wind stays in double figure i will be up on sunday.

all the best, Jamie

Top Top

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the welcome, just ordered kite killers before seeing your post lol but many thanks for your kind offer, i will try the handles first for sure i know with new hobbies the bank balance can take a heavy hit if you buy the wrong kit so would value other peoples input and views on kit thats worth a look at, and that kit thats best avoided.

How often does your club fly is it every week or restricted to once or twice a month weather permitting?

regards
Mick

Top Top

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Committee
if there is wind then most weekends someone will fly, first visit is free (so take advantage) then each visit is a fiver or as most do just join and youre covered for the year to fly anytime and covered by club insurance. As long as two or more members are present and its posted on the forum for others to fly then club insurance covers you to fly anytime. there are days we cant fly for various reasons and again these are generally posted on the forum and our facebook page.

kiting is definitely a money burner, between Steve Lestrange and Andy King you could clear third world debt with what they spend lol.

Top Top

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:47 pm

Ok thanks for the heads up on charges per visit as you mentioned it's wiser to join given the insurance cover included, I won't be able to get there this weekend as I'm back to work this Sunday. When I eventually get a Sunday off I'll have the blade 4m but in the meantime I will crack on with the slingshot B3.
I don't see many new post's here at the moment I'm guessing winter chills keep most tucked up indoors and not posting flying outings here?

Top Top

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:01 pm

Committee
no not at all as long as the wind is there and its not raining, the facebook group is also quite active https://www.facebook.com/groups/suffolkkiteflyers/

Top Top

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Ah it's a different page to what I've been looking at hence I'm not seeing much activity I will ask to join the group page that way I can see the up to date posts, thanks for the link

Top Top

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Committee
Welcome. Looks like we're on for a high wind Saturday.

Top Top